Chicken Avocado Sandwich



As per my memory....today is the rainiest day in Abidjan. It started raining in the dawn and it's still raining now with no sign to stop soon. Its already 6 in the evening but the sky still has a light vivid pastel blue with clouds scattered like cotton candies. From my bedroom and through its large window which is stretched from the floor to ceiling I can see the rains only when it passes through the light of the lamp posts in the road. But I like watching that too..so I pulled away the curtains had a good view of outside as I lied in my bed with a task to study French but my mind completely going against it.


When I first came here my husband's cousin who used to stay in Abidjan,but now stays in the neighboring country Burkina Faso...told me that with my prolonged stay I will start hating the rain. But with more than 1 month of heavy raining I think I am falling in love with rain all over again. When I was in India I was so busy that watching rain was a luxury to me which I could not afford. I used to watch them only when it rained in the night. I did not close my window even if the splashes of rain wet my room. I loved to be soaked in that wet air and feel the freshness which my urban home has so much deprived me.
Today in the evening I made sandwich using chicken and avocado. It has been a long time since I have eaten one. But my camera's battery died before I could actually pick the pictures of the sandwich. So here is the pictures of the spread that I prepared. Also I wanted it to be a little spicy so added the paprika and cumin powder. But you can easily avoid them.


Chicken Avocado Sandwich
Serves 2

Ingredients:

  • 4 pieces of bread
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/4 onion - thinly slice
  • 1/2 tomato - chopped into small piece
  • 1 Avocado - sliced into pieces
  • A handful of lettuce leaves - cut into medium pieces
  • 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 small bunch of fresh coriander leaves - coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 red chili - coarsely chopped
  • salt
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp pepper powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp crushed peppercorns
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp paprika/red chili powder (optional) (I used paprika)
  • 1/4 cup grated cheese (optional)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
Method:
  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Season the chicken breasts with onion powder,garlic powder, crushed peppercorns,oregano,cumin powder, paprika/chili powder and salt.
  • Roast them in the oven for 15 minutes.
  • In the mean time mix the lettuce, avocado, onion and tomato and grated cheese.
  • In a cup squeeze the lemon juice.
  • Add the chopped coriander, chopped red chili, mayonnaise and olive oil.
  • After the chicken has been properly roasted cut them into small bite size pieces.
  • Put the chicken pieces into the Avocado, onion and tomato mixture.
  • Now drizzle the lemon, olive oil and mayonnaise mixture in them.
  • Mix them properly.
  • Toast the breads.
  • Spread the mixture on the bread and cut from corners.
  • Serve hot.

Comments

Popular Posts