Aloo Zeera / Zeera Aloo / Cumin Potato

A few weeks ago after I came home from hospital I made this Zeera Alu and shared the recipe in this blog. But it was a very subtle and plain tasting potato dish, ideal when you really don't have time to make anything, then it can suit your fancy.


But with a healthy mind and body and of course, who can ignore my healthy apetite...I usually go a little beyond that recipe to add an extra zing. This is a very popular Bengali recipe and my Ma used to pack this with parathas in my lunch box, when I was in the school.


 Aloo Zeera also makes a good Sunday breakfast to pass a leisurely time in the morning with a cup full of hot tea. My husband enjoys this with hot cinnamon tea and urges to keep some of the Aloo Zeera aside before serving because that he will eat after eating parathas. Well..Aloo Zeera is so tasty that I can not blame him. I simply make more so that I can keep some for me too!!!! Lol!


Add caption

Rains have not stopped yet in Abidjan and its really very rare that I can catch a glimpse of the sun. I rescued 4 cute kittens from the road side after their mother's death and my schedule is now quite hectic as I have to feed them in every 2 hours. Each pair is a look alike and once I fed one kitten twice and forgot the other. So after that I made colorful ribbons and tied them to their neck as a symbol of recognition!! Ha Ha!! Besides all these I loaded tons of e-books into my tab and having a real tough time, because I can not decide whether I should stick to one book at a time or read 4 books instead!!




Come, lets cook Aloo Zeera / Cumin Potato



Aloo Zerra / Zeera Aloo / Cumin Potato
Serves 3


Ingredients:

  • 2 large potatoes
  • 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp any unflavored oil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 small bunch of fresh coriander leaves - chopped
  • salt
Method:
  • Boil the potatoes. But do not over boil them. They should be firm from the outside yet soft and tender from the inside. When they are boiled, drain the water and cut them into little cubes. Keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan and put the cumin seeds.
  • When they start sizzling and turns brown add the cubed potatoes, salt and turmeric powder.
  • Stir gently to mix everything and put cover.
  • Let it cook covered for 2/3 minutes.
  • After that add the lemon juice, grated ginger and chopped coriander leaves.
  • Again stir gently to mix everything and simmer for 2/3 minutes again.
  • Taste and adjust seasoning.
  • Serve hot with a few chopped coriander leaves on top.

Comments

Popular Posts