Mug Dal Sedho / Sticky Boiled Mung Dal

As I started cooking, the morbid feeling eased out from me slowly. Because its the cooking that makes me engaged to something productive rather than doing nothing. The feeling of uneasiness that built; up around me was something that I was eager to let go. And what I needed was some comfort food that would occupy myself fully. After some dusting and cleaning, I made up my mind to prepare the meal within 1 hour. I  made rice, boiled mung dal and fried some fish. Then retired to my room with a fresh feeling and finished writing my shopping list for India.




My mother used to make this boiled moog dal / mung dal. She had a tiny round box, in which she used to put all the ingredients, including mung dal, and put it in the pot of boiling rice. It used to be cooked in that heat. Since, I do not have any box like that, I used pressure cooker. And if you do not have pressure cooker, just use any pot and wait until the dal is properly cooked. This simple boiled mung dal tastes divine and is an ultimate comfort food for my family.:)


Mug Dal Sedho / Sticky Boiled Mung Dal
Serves 5-6


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of mug dal / mung dal
  • 1/2 of a medium onion - chopped
  • 1 small bunch of fresh coriander leaves - chopped
  • 2 green chilies - chopped
  • 2 tbsp of mustard oil
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • salt
Method:
  • Wash the dal until the water comes out clean and soak the dal in water for 10-15 minutes. Soaking is not necessary but this step helps in quick cooking.
  • Once it is soaked drain the mung dal and put it in a pressure cooker with 4 cups of water, half of the mustard oil, salt and turmeric powder. Close the lid and cook on medium flame, until the cooker blows 4-5 whistles.
  • Put off the flame and let the steam come out naturally. If you do not have a pressure cooker put that dal in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cook it on medium flame, with the lid on, until the dal is properly cooked. It usually takes 25-30 minutes.
  • Now, open the lid and with a hand beater give the cooked dal a quick and good stir so that every bit of dal gets mashed up.
  • If you like the dal to be of thick consistency, then cook it on medium flame without any lid, for another 10-12 minutes, or until it reaches your desired consistency.
  • Once done, transfer the dal to a bowl and add to it the rest of the mustard oil, chopped onion, coriander leaves and green chilies.
  • Serve hot with some steamed rice and shallow fried potatoes or pumpkin or aubergine.

Comments

Popular Posts