Stir fried Veggies with Prawns

This post was for children's day. But sorry, I got late. But its better to be late than never.:)
We are looking for a new house. Nearly one year is coming to an end after one month...and we are planning to shift things again. The house, in which we live in now is huge for us..or it should be perfect to say, that it is huge for me. Because its me, who lives here 24*7. 2 guest rooms are always messed up, scrambled up with used up boxes and clothes. One guest room, that we have managed to keep clean, sometimes gets messed up too. But this is not the reason that we are planning to shift.



Here I feel lonely and spooky sometimes. Some noises or screeches, give me goosebumps. Sometimes I felt I am being watched, but there are no-one. However, I coped up with all those, thinking that those were all my illusions and feelings of a scared mind. In the afternoon, I stay in  the bedroom, praying that I will never have to face any uncanny event. I was a huge fan of horror movies, but now I scarcely watch such movies. I get scared easily. :( So, I insisted my husband to look for a small flat, where I will feel cozy and not many noises will spook me out. Growing up in a crowded house along with cousins and sister and lots of relatives, surely have left me with its consequences. Back in my house there were hardly anytime when I have felt lonely. There were always someone, who was with me, or the least, in the house, to whom I could always resort to. There we had group discussions, played in groups and what an evening it used to be when we played hide and seek among us. Those were the golden days of my childhood, which we all have left so far to fulfill targets and dreams. But whenever I remember those days, a part of me leads me into the world of "khelna-bati"(a game where we presumed to be the head of the family and played the roles of mother, father etc.), so that I can again play with my dolls. I want to have those pure days, when quarrellings with sisters used to be for cheating in a game or for breaking a doll or not for agreeing to be the seeker in hide and seek. Broken toys seems to be a lot better option in the world of broken promises, broken relationships and broken dreams. So, on this children's day, I want to be that 9year old girl...I want to let go of bad memories and I want to be naive again.



A few days ago I made this stir-fried veggies with prawns to go with my clear chicken soup. This will also go well with a plain grilled sandwich or a piece of grilled chicken breast. Nice and plain and without any spices.


Stir-fried Veggies With Veggies
Serves 1

Ingredients:

  • 10-12 prawns
  • 1 small carrot - cut in strips
  • 1/2 capsicum - cut in thin strips
  • 1/4 cup - shredded cabbage
  • 1/4 cup French beans - chopped
  • 1/2 small onion - thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic - paste
  • 7-8 black peppercorns
  • 1 tsp light soy sauce
  • 2 tsp oyster sauce
  • a few chopped parsley
  • 2 tsp oil
  • salt
Note: You can add more vegetables, but do not crowd them with lots of veggies, or otherwise the prawns will get lost. Prawns are the main attraction of the dish.

Method:
  • De-vein the prawns and sprinkle some salt and mix evenly.
  • Crush the peppercorns into fine powder.
  • Heat half of the oil in a flat pan and sauté the prawns until they are cooked thoroughly and browned from both the sides.
  • When the prawns are done keep them aside.
  • Take the same pan and heat the rest of the oil in the pan.
  • Put the flame on highest.
  • Now add the garlic paste and let the oil to heat up.
  • When the garlic paste starts to brown add the sliced onions and saute until they start to become translucent.
  • Now add all the veggies and mix evenly with the onions and oil.
  • Stir continuously, so that they do not stick to the bottom of the pan, and every part of the veggies gets cooked evenly. Do this for 3-4 minutes maximum. The vegetables should not be soft, the should retain their crunch.
  • Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, crushed pepper, fried prawns and mix evenly.
  • Stir for more 1 minute.
  • Put off the flame, and add salt.
  • Sprinkle some chopped parsley.
  • Mix and serve hot.

Comments

Popular Posts