Dimer Bhujia / Egg Bhurji

It is pouring lately in Abidjan and I am having this feeling that I should stay in bed with a big mug of coffee and books. I mean...really...I do not want to cook anything other than desserts now. So generally what I am doing lately is making this dimer bhujia / egg bhurji to save myself from cooking a three course meal. My sister-in-law loves this dimer bhujia / egg bhurji, and whenever we go to some dhaba she orders one. Actually she likes egg in any shape and any form. Sometimes she (count me too) boils a number of eggs, slices them lengthwise, sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and eats them with eternal delight!! I wish I could eat like that too without the fear of calories and fatness. By the way, coming to the dhabas again. There in our menu Dimer bhujia / egg bhurji is a must...so much so, that, no one asks her now about it, say it or not we know that dimer bhujia / egg bhurji is automatically and obviously making itself to the list.

how to cook a quick simple and healthy egg bhurji

But what I hate is that, there they serve dimer bhujia / egg bhurji just plain. I mean yes, clearly plain. No onion, no greens..its just the yellow eggs fluffed into the plate. I admit that I love the sight, I love the scene and I love the taste more or so....but I think its more better if you just sauté it with some lovely fresh greens. And immediately dimer bhujia becomes a healthy dish on the table.

how to cook a quick simple and healthy egg bhurji



 I have looked for the recipe in the internet but they all cook the eggs with the vegetables which is a complete no no for me, because in that case the vegetables get coated with eggs and you can not separate them in any way and the flavor of the eggs get somewhat lost. So I do it my way. Also I do not over crowd it with lots of vegetables and add in whatever is there in my fridge. I cook the eggs first, and try to scramble the eggs in big pieces, then I cook the vegetables separately, and when they are done I just mix in the eggs. I also add a chicken stock cube which adds in a lots of flavor. Once I added bacon in it and it tasted awesome. However by doing that you are increasing its richness. Which is totally fine for me.

how to cook a quick simple and healthy egg bhurji

For me dimer bhujia / egg burhi is something like a stir fry and it saves a lot of time for me. It is a healthy breakfast and it also can be a perfect stuffing for your sandwich. And lastly, I add some curry leaves (whenever available) because I love its flavor. Feel free to omit it anytime.

how to cook a quick simple and healthy egg bhurji


Dimer Bhurji / Egg Bhurji
Serves 4

how to cook a quick simple and healthy egg bhurji

Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 large onion - sliced
  • 1 cup boiled green peas
  • 1 clove of garlic - minced
  • 1/2 inch stick of ginger - minced
  • 1 small carrot - chopped
  • some florets of cauliflower - cut into small small pieces (par boiled)
  • 2 red / green chilies - roughly chopped
  • a handful of fresh coriander leaves - chopped
  • 1 chicken stock cube (optional)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 4-5 curry leaves (really really optional)
  • 1 dry red chili
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2-3 tsp oil
Method:
  • Beat the eggs in a bowl until frothy, so that it becomes smooth.
  • Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai and pour the beaten eggs in it. Add some salt and pepper.
  • Stir continuously on medium heat until the eggs become perfectly scrambled and cooked.
  • Take them out of the kadai and keep aside in a bowl.
  • In the same kadai add the rest of the oil and put cumin seeds, dry red chili and curry leaves.
  • As the whole spices start to splutter and sizzle add in the sliced onions, minced garlic and minced ginger.
  • Sauté till the onions become translucent and the raw flavor of the garlic is gone.
  • Now add in all the vegetables except the green / red chilies.
  • Add salt, mix everything and put cover for 2 minutes.
  • After 2 minutes open the cover and add the chicken stock cube.
  • Mix again. If the vegetable starts to stick to the bottom of the kadai add a sprinkle of water. Mix and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until you see that all the vegetables are properly cooked.
  • Now add the scrambled eggs and the roughly chopped green / red chilies. Mix everything finally.
  • Taste and adjust seasoning.
  • Add some chopped coriander leaves and put off the flame.

Comments

Popular Posts