Aloo Kumro diye Chingri Macher jhol / Prawn curry with potato and pumpkin

In schooldays I envied my mother for staying home in the noon. As I had day school the only time I could stay home in the afternoon was the holidays. But Ma used to press me to sleep at that time. Those afternoons were treasures for me as a kid. As there were usually no one to keep an eye on us (they used to be busy in taking a quick and long after lunch nap), we kids used to start on our ventures. Ma used to take me forcefully to bed to sleep with me and grabbed me with her arms, while she slept. My god....I think those used to be really torturous long moments for me at that time, as I used to keep quite, waiting for her to fall asleep. And as soon as her grip loosened, I used to shift her hand very slowly and steadily and with jut 2 jumps....I used to be on the rooftop.


how to cook bengali style Aloo Kumro diye Chingri Macher Jhol

how to cook bengali style Chingri Macher Jhol

I really can't remember what pleasure it gave me when I roamed on the rooftop with the fiery sun above my head..but sure it was something really comforting for me. I used to water the trees there by carrying water from the tap with a mug that was on the roof, and splatter some of those thinking that it might cool down the rooms underneath and waited for the boys of the locality to start playing cricket. I loved to see them chasing the ball. In a way I envied the boys too, because only the boys had the permission to play outside the house. Girls were always supposed to stay home and have a calming attire. Never liked that too much. With the setting on of the evening, I used to sit down to study. I did have a study table and chair but rarely sat there. My favorite way of studying was done by sitting cross legged on the floor. It was just bare floor in the summer and in the winter I used to put a thick bed sheet there which I used fold multiple times. I had a wooden small study table, on which I piled my copies, in the side I used to put the books and a story book always stayed underneath them which was a pass time when I could take no more!! However the amount of study I used to do on those holidays were rather marginally negative than zero during those holidays and I always ended up with all the homeworks loaded up on my head as well as shoulder, just before the school was about to open. But somehow I managed.

how to cook chingri macher jhol recipe


how to cook bengali style prawn curry recipe

With growing up afternoon slowly lost its charm and most of the time, now whenever I get an opportunity I sleep through it. Bad habit....I know!!!


bengali style imple prawn curry recipe

how to cook prawn curry with pumpkin

Ma used to make this prawn curry with potato and pumpkin. She used to make another prawn curry, that used to be thinner with the pumpkin and potatoes and kind of the same ingredients but without tomato. However I really need no reasons to eat prawns. I just love them in any form and any shape. This dish is a simple prawn curry with the sweetness from pumpkins...a simple light comfort food.

bengali style simple chingri macher jhol recipe

bengali style chingrir jhol recipe

Aloo Kumro diye Chingri Macher jhol / A thin prawn curry with potato and pumpkin
Serves 3-4

bengali style aloo kumro chingrir jhol recipe

Ingredients:

  • 500gm tiger prawns prawns 
  • 1 medium onion
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic
  • 1 inch stick of ginger
  • 1 tomato - blended into a paste
  • 1 medium potato - cubed or cut lengthwise
  • 150gm pumpkin - cubed
  • 2 green cardamom
  • 2-3 cloves (You can avoid the whole garam masalas, I just ommit them when I do not prefer the garam masala flavor or want to make the "jhol" simple and light.)
  • 1 small cinnamon stick
  • 2-3 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 green chili
  • salt
  • a pinch of sugar
  • a handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
  • 1 tbsp oil (preferably mustard oil)
Method:
  • In a blender blend in the onions, ginger, garlic and green chili with a little water.
  • Once done take them out of the blender, transfer to a bowl and in the same blender blend in the tomatoes until smooth.
  • Rub some turmeric powder and salt on the peeled and de-veined prawns. Keep them aside for 5-7 minutes.
  • In the mean time heat the oil in a kadai / pan and fry the prawns till they are nice and golden from both the sides.
  • Once done take them out of the kadai and put aside.
  • Next fry the potatoes till they become nice and golden. Do not over fry or they will start to brown.
  • Reduce the oil from the kadai if you don't want to cook in that much oil.
  • Put the whole garam masalas into the hot oil and once they start to sizzle add in the onion paste we made. Stir and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onions does not turn brown. Make sure the raw flavor of the garlic and ginger is gone.
  • Now add the tomato paste. And cook for another 5-6 minutes o until the tomatoes start to release oil.
  • Add in the salt, sugar, turmeric powder, red chili powder, fried potatoes and pumpkin.
  • Add 2 cups of water and give a good to to mix everything properly.
  • Next put in the prawns and put cover.
  • Now I like my pumpkins all mushy, but if you want your pumpkins to turn out properly intact just add the pumpkins after the potatoes are half way cooked.
  • Let it cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the potatoes and prawns are properly cooked through.
  • Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  • Finally add the chopped fresh coriander leaves. Mix well and put off the flame.

Comments

Popular Posts