Chirer Polao or Bengali Poha Pulao or Bengali Flattened Rice Pilaf

Some people should never get mad. You know why??? Because they can't handle it. In the finale, what they finally get is an enormous emotioanl breakdown. I know...I know...again I am sharing my gyan. But when I say that I belong to those mad category, all these suddenly makes sense!!

How to cook chirer polao recipe

I don't know why I fight and why I get mad. Most of the time they are really petty issues...like whether to go for shopping or not, or whether Salman Khan is vegetarian or not or whether a movie we just watched makes a real sense or not. Really childish issues, but huge dramas can take place because of them, I tell you. Sometimes matters go to such an extent that we undertake cold war, because fighting really then does not solve anything. My poor husband!! What dramas he has to bear!! I am such a nuisance!!:(

how to cook bengali style chirer pulao recipe

how to cook poha pulao recipe

I have a bad habit of putting money into books. Last night I discovered 5000Fcfa from the book " Secret Garden"!! I was elated. I mean who does not become happy from an unexpected money gain??

how to cook bengali style poha pulao recipe


popular bengali breakfast chirer pulao recipe

Its almost past 2 in the morning. I am widely awake with my laptop open and the night lamp on, while my husband amongst all these has dozed off peacefully. I remember the last week, which had been too emotionally straining for me. But thankfully I overcame those incidents. Life is full of black and whites. And among them, I just want to remember the whites. Because after a while those are the only things that will matter. Those smiles, those petty fights, those little walks are the boosters, which will give me hope. They have given me them till now and I know the future will be the same. I write about my smallest happiness here on my blog, but trust me, as every other girl, I too face ups and downs. I also cry, I fight miserably...and for all those carelessness I get a good amount of scolding. But somehow life always teaches me to smile among them, to overcome them....to fight them, to outgrow them. Somewhere I read that if something is bothering you just ask yourself whether it will bother you 5 years later. If not, then let it go. Do not go with the Frozen song, but seriously letting those negative emotions go helps a lot. We are humans and its not possible for anyone to meet them every time.  So laugh out loud and forgive everyone. Life is too short to live with a grumpy mind and face!!:)

how to cook easy chirer pulao recipe

Chirer Pulao or Chirer Polao is a light snack full of vegetables and nutritions, which is made with chire or flattened rice or poha. Its a very popular dish among the Bengalis as breakfast or evening snack. Its nutty, crunchy and at the same time flavorful. Ma used to make them a lot. The only thing that you have to be cautious while making this Chirer Pulao is that you should not make the poha / chire all soggy. Wash them with water very lightly twice or thrice, and then drain all the water. Also, wash the rice just 2-3 minutes before using them. Otherwise they will become soggy and chirer polao will look like a khichdi.

how to cook bengali style poha pulao with vegetables

Chirer Polao or Bengali Poha Pulao or Bengali Flattened Rice Pilaf
Serves 2-3

bengali style healthy breakfast and snack recipe chirer pulao or poha pulao

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of poha / chire / flattened rice
  • 1 medium onion - roughly chopped
  • 1 medium potato - peeled, par boiled and cut into small cubes
  • 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
  • 1 small carrot - chopped
  • 1/2 cup small cauliflower florets
  • 2 green chillies - roughly chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • a bunch of fresh coriander leaves - chopped
  • 1/4 cup - peanuts
  • 8-10 cashew nuts - broken or halved
  • a handful of raisins 
  • a handful of chopped fresh coconut (optional)
  • 8-10 fresh curry leaves
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 dry red chillies 
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • salt
  • 1 tap sugar
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
  • 1 tbsp desi ghee
Method:
  • Boil some water with salt in a saucepan and blanch the cauliflower florets, carrots and green peas for 7-8 minutes. After that, drain the water and keep those vegetables aside.
  • Heat some oil in a kadai and shallow fry the cauliflower florets and cubed potatoes separately, until they are golden from outside. Once done, take them out of the kadai and keep aside.
  • In the same oil, fry the peanuts and cashew nuts, until the nuts are slightly brown. Once done, take them outside of the pan.
  • Heat the rest of the oil in the kadai and put in the mustard seeds, dty red chillies and curry leaves. Once they start to splutter and sizzle add in the chopped onions. Sauté for 2 minutes or until they start to become translucent.
  • Now add in all the vegetables (if you are using frozen green peas then add them just before adding the chire), turmeric powder, salt, sugar and mix properly. If needed add a splash of water and cover to let it cook for 2-3 minutes. After that, check whether all the vegetables have become soft from inside by pressing slightly.
  • In the meantime, wash the chire / poha / flattened rice with water twice or thrice. Drain the water completely and keep the cleaned poha / chire aside.
  • Once they vegetables are done add in the  chopped ginger, chopped coconut and fried nuts & raisins.
  • Give a good stir and add in the washed and drained chire / poha, chopped green chillies and chopped coriander leaves.
  • Mix with care, so that you don't turn everything into a mess.
  • Taste and adjust seasoning.
  • Finally add garam masala and ghee.
  • Switch off the flame and serve hot with some chopped onions, drizzle of lemon juice, a sprinkle of salt and some aloo bhujia / aloo sev.

Comments

Popular Posts