Doi Alu / Dahi Aloo - Potato in Creamy Yogurt Sauce

My husband says I am half screwed. Really?? Who knows...we have reall scarcity of people here who knows me well... mostly because I like to keep to myself and I just remain that way. So maybe I am half screwed...but the other half of me is still in good position and its working round the clock. And I think that part is not that much screwed. Although I very much doubt that!!:)

how to cook dahi aloo recipe

how to cook potatoes in yogurt gravy recipe

Yesterday, we had a birthday party to attend. The birthday girl was my husband’s cousin’s daughter and surprisingly we stretched it all day long. After she cut the cake we went for lunch to a Thai restaurant and from there we again headed towards their home to have a cup of coffee. The lazy evening caught us and we indulged ourselves into a deep adda session in the back yard of their villa, which then finished up in a Karaoke night. After that I and my sister-in-law went to the kitchen to reheat the leftover food and I made steamed fish with mustard seeds. Still it was not the end...we had some ice cream after the dinner and when we came home it was past 10:30P.M!! The result of our day long discussion...we are going to Asundi Beach on Sunday to celebrate diwali!! Yayyyy!!!

simple and easy doi alu dahi aloo recipe
Temper the ghee with whole spices and add the boiled potatoes to them. Also sprinkle some salt.
simple and easy doi alu dahi aloo recipe
After frying the potatoes for 2 minutes, pour in the yogurt mixture and simmer for 3-4 minutes more.
simple dahi wale aloo sabzi recipe

This is my final instalment to my Yogurt saga and now I am done with it. It’s the easiest recipe that I have seen so far. Simmering is all you have to do really in this case. And it’s very similar to all the Aloo Chorchori we make to go with the roti / parathas in the evenings. Besides it gets cooked just like that and you have to add minimum spices in it. In one word...I love it!!!

how to cook dahi wale aloo recipe

Doi Alu / Dahi Aloo
Serves 5-6

how to cook doi aloo


Ingredients:
500gm baby potatoes / 4-5 medium potatoes
½ cup thick curd
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander seeds (dry roast them for 1 minute and then ground to a fine powder)
½ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp hing / asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
Salt
A handful of fresh coriander leaves – chopped
1 tbsp ghee

Method:
Boil and peel the potatoes. Keep them aside. Make sure that the boiled potatoes are firm and they have retained their shape.
Whisk the curd and add in 1 cup of water, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix to incorporate everything and keep aside.
Heat the ghee in a kadai and add in the cumin seeds, bay leaf and hing / asafoetida. When they start to sizzle add the potatoes. Sprinkle some salt over them and sauté on medium heat to fry them a little.
After frying for 2 minutes, pour in the yogurt mixture and stir a little.
Put cover and simmer on medium flame for 3-4 minutes. The gravy should be really thin and the oil should float on top of it.
Taste and adjust the seasoning and put off the flame.

Sprinkle the garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves over them and serve hot with chapatti / roti / paratha. 

Comments

Popular Posts