Dal Bukhara

I think I am getting old or growing old...because certain incidents are taking place and I am reacting to them in a whole other way to what I am used to and even then also I am not freaking out!!! Like...earlier I used to be rather cool with the idea that my room is in a state of complete mess and I should think about cleaning it from floor to ceiling but that is not what’s happening right now. I clean the corners...whereas I was a person who used to store all the dirt under the bed and made peace with the fact that it was only me who was aware with the situation. I am dusting my bookshelf on a regular basis, I organise my wardrobe and I feel serene and calm at the sight of a clean bedroom and kitchen. Now...this is a completely different me and I am not even 30!! Should I be stressed and start looking for the old self under the dusty memories of black and white life or should I just panic or just sip a martini, enjoy the cool breeze and rejoice the moment of arriving to the state of actual practicing adulthood...

how to make Dal Bukhara recipe and preparation

how to make Dal Bukhara recipe and preparation

how to make Dal Bukhara recipe and preparation

how to make Dal Bukhara recipe and preparation

Dal Bukhara is pretty much like Dal Makhani but creamier and less spicy. Made with whole urad dal or kali dal, this lentil is more of a soup for me which I like to eat just as it is with a generous dollop of butter, ghee, coriander leaves and if I like a drizzle of lime juice. Perfect!!

how to make Dal Bukhara recipe and preparation

Dal Bukhara
Serves 6

how to make Dal Bukhara recipe and preparation

Ingredients:
2 cups of whole urad dal / kali dal
4 large ripe tomatoes – pureed 
200gm softened unsalted butter
1 and ½ inch ginger – paste
6 cloves of garlic - paste 
1 and ½ cup of heavy cream
¾ cup of thick yogurt – whisked
1 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 tsp red chilli powder
4 green chillies – slit
Salt
1 and ½ tsp homemade garam masala powder
A handful of fresh coriander leaves

Method:
Wash and rinse the lentils until you have clear water. Then soak the lentils in water overnight.
The next day drain the water and put the lentils in a pressure cooker along with 3-4 cups of water and cook until the whistle blows 4-5 whistles.
Once done, switch off the flame and keep the pressure cooker aside so that the pressure can escape.
When the pressure settles down, open the lid and add the tomato puree, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, half of the butter and half of the garam masala powder.
With a wire whisk everything for a good 2 minutes so that the lentils disintegrate and then place the pressure cooker on the stovetop on low.
Slow cook the curry for around 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 3-4 minutes with the wire whisk until you have a creamy consistency. Scrap the sides and the bottom of the pan so that nothing sticks or stays behind.
If the dal tends to dry, retain the moisture by adding water from time to time. The consistency of the dal should not become very thick or very runny. It should have a sticky thick dripping type of consistency.
Finally when you are happy after all those simmering and scraping and whisking, taste and adjust the seasonings.
Add the heavy cream, chopped coriander leaves, rest of the butter and garam masala powder.
Stir to mix and simmer for one or two minutes more.
Switch off the flame and serve hot just as it is or with some naan or chapatti with a blob of softened butter on top of it.

Comments

Popular Posts